Those bad days can really take over your life sometimes right? Those bad days often turn into bad weeks, sometimes even a bad month. Sooner or later its easier to believe that your entire life is ‘bad’ because you have a few negative things going on.This is completely normal. Everyone goes through this, or at least, I think they do… if you don’t, please let me know how! Regardless, no one is ever happy 24/7 and I really truly think that every single one of you reading this, should be able to relate in one way or another. My life has been a-bit of a rollercoaster recently, and iv had a sudden urge to write a blog post on this to help myself and to help any of you that have been through a similar situation.
1. One of the biggest things iv learnt recently is to learn to accept negativity in my life, but not to let it cloud over me. It’s SO easy to let something bad that has happened in your day to define your entire day, week or month, but really, it shouldn’t. If you think about it, in life, the majority of us are fortunate enough to have had a lot of positive things happen to us. The simple things, like walking along the beach in the fresh brisk air by yourself, with your dog or your best friend, your boyfriend or your girlfriend, your mother, father, brother or sister, just cherishing those moments you have with the ones you love. That’s a positive thought in itself right?
2. Something that has always helped me has been writing. Personally i either use this blog and keep the personal thoughts in my drafts or even just write how I’m feeling in my notes app on my phone. Take a diary, or even just a plain pad of paper. Write down all the things you are thankful for in life. Whether that’s the fact you had a really nice meal for lunch, the fact you have shelter over your head, the fact you are greatful to have met the people you have in life, the fact your hair went right today or the fact you love the completely beautiful new dress you just brought from misguided. Whatever it is, write it down and keep on writing. If you can’t think of one positive thing from today, think about absolutely anything positive you have experienced in your life. There will be something positive just search for it. I think, when you’re in a state of negativity, it’s so easy to let it cloud over you, and completely ignore the sea of positivity that is actually surrounding you. Once you’ve finished your list, read it back through and trust me it will help and might just help to put things back into perspective. A few bad things occurring does not mean you have a bad life, everything will get better, i promise.
3. Boys, this ones for you. Now normally id say my blogs target market is young girls and women of any age. However, iv recently realised that actually it’s not just girls who have troubles with body confidence. Like seriously how much pressure is there on men to be perfect these days? We see so many gorgeous looking men all across our social media, in and out of our lives daily with a perfect six-pack and biceps at the gym and like shit man that must be hard! I know for a fact id find it hard to get that hench so I can’t even begin to imagine the pressure you all have on you! I literally think it is SO important to love yourself for who you are! Male or Female, please never ever compare yourself to others. You are unique to yourself and that is what makes you, you and is what makes you gorgeous. You know all those Women and men you look at in envy and jealousy? Yeah they are looking back at you the exact same way… truth be told I very much doubt anybody is completely happy with their body or what they look like. However at the end of the day you only get one life and one body to go with that life. You need to learn to love your body because it’s the only one you have. It doesn’t matter if your thighs look like pancakes when you sit down or if your hair goes frizzy in the rain, it’s what makes you, you. By all means work hard to enhance those features and make yourself feel better about yourself, but it shouldn’t be to such an extreme that its making you ill or obsessed with the way you look. I genuinely hope that one day you, yes YOU reading this, find a way to accept and appreciate yourself for who you are.
4. It’s completely okay not to be okay. Its normal. Everyone feels empty at times, everyone spends hours in their room crying their eyes out for no particular reason at all. A lot of people struggle to get out of bed in the mornings to face the hellish reality of everyday that hits you like a brick wall, you aren’t alone. Sometimes I think i don’t let myself feel the emotions i need to feel. Since the start of 2017 iv told myself that i am determined to make every day a good day and to be happy 24/7… but then, actually i think its important to let yourself just feel. Iv always been an anxious person, so if one morning i wake up and im finding it hard to breath, or if i find walking into a classroom hard, i shouldn’t beat myself up about it, but just accept the fact that is part of who i am, and that’s okay. Its okay not to be okay. If you’re struggling with your relationship, if you’ve got shit going on at home, if your losing your way in your education, your job or your future, that’s okay. Just remember it will get better, all you have to do is allow it to get better and take the necessary steps to ensure that.
5. Have a no screen day. Recently in college we have been talking a lot about the world of social media and how addicted we are as a society, to our phones. They are now an integral part of our lives and we genuinely find it hard to go longer than an hour without sitting in front of, picking up, or going on some sort of screen. Try this for a challenge. One day with no screens whatsoever. I 100% think that you will have no idea what to do with yourself, you’ll probably get withdrawal symptoms of some sort, but just see how it makes you feel. Social media consumes so much of our time and influences us in so many ways but it will genuinely help you so much if you discipline yourself to avoid social media and screens for just one day. Take the time to pamper yourself and just be for a little while. Step away from the stress of everyday life and just, live.
6. Fake it untill you make it. I literally find trying to be confident so hard, but something that iv found helps recently is faking that I am confident. Now i am a drama student and have been my whole life, so i do find acting confident easier than the average person. However, by doing this iv sort of started to fool myself into thinking that i am actually confident? If you do something so much, and so frequently eventually it does start to become a part of you. So even if you are really conscious of your hair or your belly, or if people will like the boots you are wearing, as long as you pretend not to care and pretend that you don’t care what others think… eventually you will genuinely start to not care what people think. Like today i wore a florescent yellow coat to college that iv had for years but been too self conscious to wear… i was so anxious about it, but i then recieved so many lovely compliments and i suddenly found myself actually being confident in it! I know this sounds ridiculous, but honestly it works and i could not be much more confident in the person that i am at the moment because i faked it untill i made it.
7. Breathing. Take 30 seconds to just stop. Breath in, and breath out and calm down. Let yourself breath before doing something your slightly anxious about doing or after youve done something you wouldnt normally do. Just take 30 seconds, to gather your energy again and regain your strength.
8. Dont be afraid to ask for help. We are all here on this planet together and we all experience very similar things. One of the best things to do when you have had a bad day is to talk about it, bottling things up is never ever good solution and actually by letting it out and talking to someone, most of the time it helps you realise the bigger picture of the situation, and that what you’re going through isn’t as bad as you think it is in your head . A big step in getting happy, is admitting that you are not. Its okay not to be okay.
So… there we are. A few things i needed to get off my chest in order to help myself, and hopefully will be of use to some of you, along side a few photos of some of my happiest memories to make this post a little more aesthetically pleasing. If you have any questions feel free to ask and if you enjoyed this post like and subscribe.
I hope you’re all smashing 2017 so far.
All the love,